Java is a strongly typed programming language that has many applications. Let’s get to know about the top 10 applications that run on Java.
- Mobile Applications: Java is used for mobile app development. Java can run on Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and Android runs on Dalvik Virtual Machine (DVK) to execute class files. These files are grouped together as Android Application Package (APK).
- Desktop GUI Applications: Desktop applications can be developed easily in Java. Java provides GUI development through various means like Abstract Windowing Toolkit (AWT), Swing and JAvaFX.
- Web Applications: Web applications can also be developed using Java. It supports web applications through Servlets, Struts or JSPs. Easy coding and higher security offered by Java allows developers to develop large number of web applications for health, social security, education, and insurance.
- Enterprise Applications: Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) provides API and runtime environment for scripting. It also includes network applications and web services. Java EE is used in many banking applications.
- Gaming Applications: Java has 3D engine known as jMonkeyEngine. It helps in designing 3D games. Currently, there is latency issue for games because garbage collection cycles can cause noticeable pauses. This issue will be fixed in a newer version of JVM.
- Scientific Applications: Software developers or programmers use Java to write applications that involves scientific calculations and mathematical operations. Scientific application like MATLAB uses Java for interacting user interface and as a part of core system.
- Big Data Technologies: Java forms the backbone of Big Data technologies. Hadoop and programming languages like Scala exist, because of Java.
- Business Applications: Java EE helps developers to create large scale, multi-tiered, scalable, reliable and secure network applications. These applications help to solve the problems that are faced by large enterprises.
- Distributed Applications: Java Intelligent Network Infrastructure (Jini) represents an infrastructure to provide, register and find distributed services based on its specification. Jini has an important part known as JavaSpaces. It’s a mechanism that supports distribution, persistence, and migration of objects in a network.
- Cloud-based Applications: Java can be used in SaaS, IaaS and PaaS development. It serves companies to build their applications remotely and it also helps companies to share data with others.
Java is a widely used language and is applicable across different types of applications. Gaming Applications, Desktop GUI Applications, Mobile Applications, Business Applications, Enterprise Applications, Scientific Applications, Distributed applications, cloud-based applications and so on are a few applications that run on Java.